Its not a monkey. Its an ape!
My Masters thesis project at Georgia Tech, under the guidance of the great Janet Murray. Completed in 2003.
Bronc Busters, Bomb Designers and Me is a multi-media documentary work on DVD-Video. There are two components to the piece.
The first is an exploration of the United States defense laboratories located in the town of Livermore, California. This element combines personal memoir, interviews, and historical research to paint a picture of the community.
The second component is a work of experimental documentary that incorporates interactive digital technologies and storytelling techniques. These techniques were selected for their ability to enhance the presentation of the content and provide a more powerful experience for the viewer.
I worked at Youtube from 2007 to 2011. An exciting time.
- Lead UX efforts on multiple product areas during YouTube’s high-growth early years.
- Tackled numerous firsts, including the first project to monetize YouTube videos and the first TV and game console implementations.
- Design for home page, video upload & management, user channels & profiles, site navigation & information architecture, television applications, and more.
- Worked in conjunction with product and engineering teams to create systems and practices for social networking and sharing, personalized content discovery, video quality, content syndication and APIs.
- Collaborated with teams across Google to develop UX solutions for video across the network in products such as iGoogle and GoogleTV.
- Mentored junior team members and interns.
- Presented at internal & external industry & developer conferences.
- Patents: US8069414, US8468201. Multiple Filings.
YouTube Snapshot Case Study
An overview of live work, with explanations of process: View PDF file
Home Page – 2010
Re-working the home page to integrate social and recommendation features to create a “personalized discovery” experience.
This work lead to a patent oriented around the gathering and presentation of social activity: US8468201
Autoshare – 2010
Further integrating YouTube into the social media sphere by allowing for quick sharing to FB, Twitter, and other networks.
User Channels – 2009
Reworking user “channels” to allow for greater expression and control over presentation and content.
YouTube for TV – 2009
First iterations of YouTube optimized for TV viewing. Started as projects specifically for the PS3 and the Wii. How things have evolved!
Upload & Video Management Tools – 2008
Re-inventing the video upload experience, boosting upload success rates by double digits. Creating more focussed and powerful tools for video creators and viewers to manage uploads, playlists, subscriptions, and more.
All materials copyright respective owners where applicable. Used purely for example purposes.
Broadcasting from the Navel of the World
In 1995 I served as webmaster for a multi-disciplinary expedition to Easter Island lead by Cordell Expeditions. During the “Dxpedition,” a group of Ham radio operators set up antennaes on the island thought the most remote humanely habitable spot on the planet. While the Dxers were making contacts with radio amateurs around the world, a team of divers explored a previously unsurveyed section of the coast. All the while the team was surrounded by the relics of a fantastic past culture, and mingling with the vibrant contemporary inhabitants of Rapanui.